Krasnoluzhsky Bridge

Ranked #85 on the list Best Bridge of All Time

6.50
Based on 4 votes

About Krasnoluzhsky Bridge

  • Body Of Water Spanned:
  • Bridge Type: Compression arch suspended-deck bridge
  • Locale:

The name Krasnoluzhsky Bridge (Russian: Краснолу́жский мо́ст) refers to three existing bridges across Moskva River, located between Kievsky Rail Terminal and Luzhniki in Moscow. The original Nicholas II Bridge (Мост Николая II) and its twin, Sergievsky Bridge (now known as Andreyevsky Bridge, Андреевский мост) were built in 1903–1907. They carried two tracks of Moscow Inner Ring Railroad across the Luzhniki bend. Both were designed as through arch bridges by Lavr Proskuryakov (structural engineering) and Alexander Pomerantsev (architectural design). The 135-meter steel arch of Nicholas II Bridge (1400 metric tons) was made at Sormovo works. Proskuryakov's work, considered a marvel of engineering, was proven by the 1908 flood: water level exceeded the maximum design specification by a meter and a half; the bridges stood unharmed. After the February Revolution of 1917, the tzarist title was replaced with a politically correct Krasnoluzhsky, literally Red Meadows. In 1926 the builder, Lavr Proskuryakov, was buried at Novodevichy Cemetery - right next to the bridge. In 1952–1956, the arched stone pillars over embankments were extended from one to two spans (each side) to accommodate

Comment on Krasnoluzhsky Bridge

Voters

There are no voters yet.