The Kakhovka Reservoir (Ukrainian: Каховське водосховище, Kakhovs’ke vodoskhovyshche) is a water reservoir located on the Dnieper River. It covers a total surface area of 2,155 square kilometres in the territories of the Kherson, Zaporizhia, and the Dnipropetrovsk Oblasts of Ukraine. The reservoir was created in 1956 when the Kakhovka Hydroelectric Power Plant was built. The reservoir is 240 km long, up to 23 km wide, and has an average depth of 8.4 meters (with depth varying from 3 to 26 m). The total water volume is 18.2 km³. It is mainly used to supply hydroelectric stations, the Krasnoznamianka Irrigation System and the Kakhivka Irrigation System, industrial plants, freshwater-fish farms, the North Crimean Canal and the Dnieper–Kryvyi Rih Canal. With its creation, it has created a deep-water route, allowing deep-sea ships to sail up the Dnieper. The lands of the former Zaporizhian Host now lay under the Kakhovka Reservoir.