Europe is a station on Paris Métro Line 3. The station opened on 19 October 1904, nine days after the first section of Line 3 opened between Père Lachaise and Villiers. It is named after the Place d'Europe, a square from which streets named for various capitals of European countries radiate. This was the site of the first railway station in Paris, known as the embarcadère de l'Ouest ("platform of the west"), the temporary terminus of the Compagnie du Chemin de fer de Paris à Saint-Germain, opened in 1837. The new terminus of Gare Saint-Lazare replaced it from 1842.